Building an Online Language Program 101
Facilitator: Esther Ham
Proposal Type: Workshop-Half Day
Summary: Have you been thinking about designing and teaching an online language course but you don’t know how to get started? Or do you want to improve your existing online course? Come and join us in this workshop!
Technology affects everybody’s life, and education through online courses is, for most students, already an essential part of their university life. So, why do language classes seem to be lagging behind? Can you only teach a language in a regular class room? This workshop will hopefully answer that question with a: No!
If you are interested in learning what knowledge you need when building your own online language course, this workshop is for you.
During the workshop, we will address the often confusing language when referring to online courses. For instance: online, hybrid, distance, etc., which would fit your program best, what are relevant technical options and aspects, but especially which basic building blocks you will need when designing your first online language course. In this hands-on workshop, we will:
Give you a general overview what your possibilities are for online language courses;
* Focus on how to select and create activities that engage online students;
* Look at different tools that might help you build a course yourself;
* Discuss a variety of effective assessment methods;
* See how to ease teaching and grading;
* Become familiar with common online teaching challenges and how to meet them.